Why Buy Pullets?
Pullets are female chickens that have not started laying yet. They are a good choice to start with or add to your coop because:
- They are past the fragile chick age and do not require a heat source
- We guarantee females (we buy them sexed but it’s not 100% accurate) If you do end up with a rooster, we will refund or replace him.
- They are about half the size of a full grown chicken, so you and your family can handle them easily (perfect for kids!)
- You know how old they are and will get many years of egg production
- They will start laying within 2-4 months of getting them from us!
If you have raised chicks before, you may know that it takes a lot of work, equipment, worry, and losses happen. You may also miss the sign at the store that says “straight-run” which means you will most likely end up with a few roosters. We do this for you so that you can enjoy healthy, coop ready pullets. If you are looking for hens that are laying, make sure you trust the seller because you do not want to buy birds that are over two years old. Their best laying years are behind them and will slowly taper off. We have certainly done all of these things and learned from them! We are more than happy to answer any questions and provide the best possible start for your chicken experience!
All chicks are vaccinated for Mareck’s disease. They should be ready to go around mid-December, but we can raise them a little longer if you are adding them in with bigger hens so that everyone gets along a little better. All pullets are $25 each or 5 or more for $20 each.
Here are the breeds that we will have:
- Lakeshore Eggers
- The Lakeshore Egger has been developed out of several breeds, so chick color can vary from yellow to buff to brown and some even have a dark stripe down their backs. Adults of this breed can be white, white with buff or red patches or nearly solid red with some black. The variety is endless. Lakeshore Egger hens will lay an average of 4-5 blue, green, or brown eggs per week. Lakeshore Eggers are very active and make great foragers and they are hardy in both hot and cold environments.
- Golden Laced Wyandottes
Golden Laced Wyandotte Chickens have beautiful golden feathers with black edging, making this color one of the most coveted of the Wyandottes. Wyandottes have become a favorite for kids, homesteads, and show.They are extremely cold hardy and sport a tight rose comb. You can expect a calm and friendly disposition as well as 4-6 brown eggs from these chickens. They also make a superb meat bird.
- Speckled Sussex
- Sussex chickens are a heavy breed developed by the English more than a century ago. This dual purpose breed lays 4-6 light brown eggs per week and is an excellent forager, making it a great free range option. The Speckled Sussex are a calm and beautiful breed and are a great bird to show. They also tend to go broody and make wonderful mothers. This variety is called speckled because of the white spangles on the ends of its otherwise dark mahogany colored feathers.
- Green Queen
The Green Queen is a hybrid chicken designed for anyone wanting a prolific colorful egg layer with a friendly and calm personality. Green Queens are an extremely hardy breed that will lay lots of large green eggs. They will come in a wide range of colors, most are bearded, some will have feathered legs, and some even have 5 toes! Just like other Easter Eggers, no two chickens will look exactly the same. This unique mix is sure to add beautiful colors to your chicken yard and eggs to your basket.
Please note, like other eggers, you can also get a range in the colors of eggs. Green Queens predominantly lay green eggs, ranging from sage to aqua, but some may lay tinted, brown, or even pink. Eggs could even be speckled. You can expect 4-6 eggs per average week from the Green Queens.
All chicks are vaccinated for Mareck’s disease. They should be ready to go around mid-September, but we can raise them a little longer if you are adding them in with bigger hens so that everyone gets along a little better. All pullets are $25 each or 5 or more for $20 each.
Here are the breeds that we will have:
- Sapphire Blue Plymouth Rock
- A cross between a native Andalusian male and Plymouth Barred Rock female. The combination of two heritage breeds ensures vigor that will amaze you with it’s blueish gray and lavender colored plumage. This Sex-link breed is a high production Brown egg layer and great forager. They do extremely well in hot and cold climates. Hens can be expected to produce about 290+ Large to X-Large Brown eggs per year and these birds typically begin to lay at 18-20 weeks old.
- French Cuckoo Marans
- A heritage, dual purpose chicken. Beyond being beautiful additions to the flock, these Marans will also add beautiful, dark brown eggs to your collection. Eggs are darkest when they start laying and begin to fade a little in color as they age.
Current Breeds Available:
We have different breeds of chickens throughout the year. We raise the breeds that we know will be the best egg layers, dual purpose birds, or family friendly pets. If you have questions about which breed is the right fit for you, please contact us and we can help you decide. If there is a breed you are really interested in you can request it in the contact us page and we will try to get them for you! We can also raise a large flock of layers for your egg business if you need. We guarantee females. If you do end up with a rooster from us, we will refund you or get you another hen.